Silver and gold are the tradition materials used for filling cavities. However, the advancement in dentistry has introduced more options such as tooth colored fillings. Get to know about each one of them in detail:
- Silver: It is the least expensive filling material, is quite durable and lasts long, but has several drawbacks. It causes discoloration of teeth and makes them vulnerable to breakage. Silver tends to contact and expand with cold and hoot foods. This can cause the filing to come out.
- Gold: It costs more than silver but is noticeable. It has potential risk of galvanic shock when gold and silver filings are placed together. Galvanic shock is basically a situation characterized by acute pain in mouth when gold filling next to silver comes in contact with saliva.
Tooth colored: these filings are not noticeable at all, and that is why it has an aesthetical appeal to it, compared to metal fillings. There are many types that fall under this category; your dentist will decide which one is the best one for you. However, ceramic and composite are the most popular choices in this category of fillings.
- Composite resin: Its appearances resembles to putty like substance. The dentists apply it on tooth let it harden via curing process which leaves a durable finish. It restores the lost strength of damaged tooth.
- Ceramic: it is extremely durable. Just like composite fillings, ceramic requires very minimal removal of tooth as opposed to metal fillings. This helps in preserving the natural strength and structure of tooth and minimizes the risks of breakage. With right care, ceramics can last more than 15 years.
What is root canal treatment?
It is the process of removing decayed pulp tissue from the canal, and filling it with a robust material in order to bring tooth back to its normal functioning.
What is the need for this type of treatment?
Due to unhealthy eating habits, there is a possibility that your tooth may become infected. When the infection reached the pulp, then there exists a need for undergoing root canal treatment performed by experts in Manhattan. The dentists refer this treatment at a stage when it becomes impossible to treat an infected tooth just by removing the decayed part and repairing it with tooth fillings.
What are the signs and symptoms of decayed tooth?
1. Sensitivity towards hot and cold food stuff.
2. Swelling around the affected area.
3. Pain in the tooth.
4. Discoloration of the tooth.
5. A tooth that hurts on chewing food.
6. Formation of abscess
Why dentists refer this treatment to patients?
The main purpose of this treatment is to repair the infected tooth in order to provide relief to the patient experiencing pain and swelling due to bacteria and infection. Moreover, this procedure focuses on increasing life of the tooth by repairing it from deep in the root canal.
White colored fillings have gained a lot of popularity. Made from acrylic and glass particles, these fillings match well with the color of the tooth and give it a natural look.
Different types of tooth fillings are available in Manhattan but white colored fillings are the preferred choice of a large number of people due to amazing benefits associated with them. Here is a list of benefits that you will get on choosing tooth colored fillings.
- These fillings act as the best option for restoring front tooth or the teeth that are visible during laughing or talking as these fillings match well the original color of the tooth and make your tooth look natural.
- This type of fillings provides additional support to the tooth structure.
- Not only these fillings are helpful in restoring tooth damaged with cavity but they are also very beneficial in repairing broken or chipped tooth.
- When compared with other fillings, the dentists need to remove a little part of the decayed tooth in case of filling tooth with white colored filling.
- These fillings give a natural look to your smile.
The procedure of root canal treatment in Manhattan begins with the doctor using a radiograph to examine the tooth. This follows by giving local anesthesia to perform the procedure. The dentists use a sheet of latex made from rubber to keep the tooth dry and clean and to isolate it during the treatment.
The doctor then creates an opening to reach the infected area to remove the inflamed pulp with a filing instrument. The dentist then cleans and shapes each root canal. He may also put some anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory medicines on the root to prevent infection and inflammation. In case of formation of severe abscess, doctors may use antibiotics to treat the infection.
The doctors then give the patients a temporary filling in order to protect the tooth during multiple visits, which is a part of this procedure. Not every patient may experience pain and discomfort, and if experienced, does not last more than few days. The doctor will prescribe pain-killers in case of discomfort.
Both after and during the treatment, they make use of multiple radiographs to keep checking the length and shapes of root canals. In a few cases, doctors may have to remove the end root to treat abscess. The procedure for that is called apicectomy.
Invisalign, a modernized method of straightening teeth, not just boosts the confidence and self-esteem, but also correct one’s smile. Here’s a list of various other issues that can be solved by this treatment:
Overcrowded teeth: When there is lack of room within the jaw because of overcrowded teeth, the chance of gum disease also becomes more prevalent thus increasing the need for getting the teeth back in shape.
Widely spaced teeth: Due to small sized teeth, abnormal growth of the jaw bones, genetics, missing teeth or tongue protrusion, extra space occurs within the teeth. This if not solved can lead to periodontal diseases including gingivitis and periodontitis.
Cross bites: Teeth when misaligned cause upper and lower jaws to cross bites. This issue can cause wear of the teeth, gum disease and bone loss, which can easily be treated via invisalign.
Overbites: When upper teeth overlap the lower teeth, it can lead to gum problems, and pain in jaw & joint problems.
Under-bites: Vice versa to overbites, when lower teeth overlap the front teeth thus restricting the growth of upper jaw and leading to overgrowth of lower jaw.
Everyone wishes to have a sparkling smile, but those who are suffering from pale yellow teeth do not need to worry as tooth whitening is the solution to it. However, there are certain myths associated with teeth whitening procedure, which we have debunked in this section. Take a look:
Myth 1- Some people think that the blue light used by dentists is actually a laser. The fact is that it is actually a metal halide ultraviolet light. Doctors that perform teeth whitening via this procedure use it in order to break down the layer of hydrogen peroxide. The purpose of doing so is to release the oxygen in air. The molecules of peroxide then help oxidize the compounds in the enamel of tooth into creating colorless by-product. It helps in giving a lightening impact on teeth.
Myth 2- It is a common belief that crest strips are less effective than professional whitening. Although both of them deliver almost equal results, yet there is some difference between the two. There are two benefits of getting professional teeth whitening in Manhattan. First, it helps ensuring whether you are right candidate for this procedure or not. The other one is that it takes lesser time. It takes almost 45 minutes while the crest strips can take weeks if done at home.
Myth 3- People often think of it as a painful procedure. It is not entirely true, but there is a little consideration to it. Gums become more prone to sensitivity due to hydrogen peroxide. When applied, it makes the teeth sensitive for almost a day, till the time saliva has re-mineralized the teeth.
You must have heard about amalgam tooth fillings. Dental amalgam is a tooth filling material, made from a mixture of metals like silver, zinc, mercury (approximately 50% of the mixture) and copper, to fill the dental cavities caused due to dental decay.
Inexpensive alternative to other tooth fillings, mercury tooth fillings that is commonly performed by surgeons in Manhattan creates a strong and long-lasting bond with the tooth. But recently, a serious concern is revolving around the use of amalgam fillings. The fact behind this belief is the use of substantial amount of mercury in the filling mixture.
The belief says, amalgam fillings releases large amount of mercury during chewing. But mercury is present everywhere in the environment. The air we breathe, the food we eat all contains amounts of mercury.
There is no doubt that amalgam fillings leaks vapor of mercury, but the question is how much. It is estimated that amalgam fillings release 15 micrograms of mercury per day which is quite below the threshold levels, studied dangerous. Moreover, Food and Drug Administration has never been able to shown any worrying signs and hazardous effects on the use of this substance.
The day after you had gone through the tooth colored fillings, there are certain troubles that you may experience. Here are few of the most common ones:
- Numbness: During the procedure, dentists give local anesthetic to make the area around the tooth numb. The numbness would last for few hours and during that period you need to consume liquids or soft foods until it goes.
- Discomfort: Mild sensitivity would be there in tooth for a few days, especially at the times when you consume cold or hot food stuffs.
- Feel of new filling: Your mouth would experience something unusual after filling, but gradually with time, you’ll get used to it.
- Eating and chewing: When filling settles down, it will get hard. However, due to numbness you may feel uncomfortable while chewing hard food items.
In spite of various state-of-art procedures that have been invented in cosmetic dentistry field; not all dental restorations types help to endure for a long time. Filling of a corrective material like gold helps in reconstructing the composition and function of damaged teeth.
As teeth can get cracked or damaged due to several factors like cavity or external injury, therefore, there could be nothing better than opting for gold filling to restore its look.
Various advantageous factors are associated with it. To name a few are:
- Gold is highly durable than other filling materials. Though it would be costly but it effects are long lasting.
- It helps in giving an appealing look.
- The best part of gold filling is that it does not damage opposing teeth while biting, and also get easily gelled up with other gums and inner tissues of tooth.
- It can be endured for a longer time period.
- Only requires two sittings for completion of the procedure.
If you want pearly white teeth, go for teeth whitening! But be cautious about the below discussed points, in order to have a long lasting effect:
- Avoid eatable that have excessive salt content
- Do not smoke and drink
- Eat strawberries, fruit salads, green and fibrous vegetables to keep teeth white
- Do not use lemon, as it is citrus which damages the teeth
- Eat carrot, guava and cucumber, because these prevent teeth from getting yellow
- Avoid consumption of antibiotics because it may possibly leave stains on teeth
- Avoid excess tea, coffee and colored soybean paste
- Do flossing and brushing of your teeth properly. At least three times a day
- Visit your dentist, if you find your teeth’s shine is getting damaged